Sunday, July 20, 2008

Terrible Twos (and shes not even two yet!)

Stella has been having a rough time with life lately. Our normally sweet and happy child has become way more ornery. I know that a lot of it is in response to a new baby in the house. She loves and adores her "buddy" as she calls him, but has also started to be mean to him. Other than the overly aggressive loving, she has taken to trying to bite him. The couple of times that she actually did it, she got in big trouble and was very sad afterward. She has also hit him a couple of times and head butted him. Over all she is very good with him and really does love him a ton. Even if she is upset or mad about something she will pause long enough to say "Hi Japes" (her version of James) and give him a smothering kiss. She also loves to hold him and have him lay by her when she is going to sleep.
Anyway, back to her hard time with life. Today was one of those bad days. I don't know if she was feeling out of sorts, but something was definitely up. She woke up at 5:30 this morning (yesterday she woke up at almost 10, so this is not a morning girl the majority of the time) and would not go back to sleep. She came down to our bed, climbed up and wiggled and squirmed and smothered all of us until we had to get up to get ready for church. (In contrast, my wonderful baby James slept from about 11:30 to 6:00 without waking up once!)
Then the craziness continued at church. She of course wouldn't even attempt to sit still or be quiet during sacrament meeting, but thats not that unusual. She once again cried when Josh dropped her off at nursery (She has cried when going to nursery every time lately. This is the girl who normally doesn't care if Josh or I are even around and has very willingly gone to nursery since she was 16 months old.)Then Josh got a nice surprise when they came to get him from the nursery (I teach Sunday School so I missed out, much to Josh's shagrin). Stella had had an accident (more on that in a minute) in her pull- up that was so bad it had gotten all over her and the carpet in the nursery room (they actually asked the guy in our ward who does the cleaning to come in an use the carpet cleaner on it!) Josh hauled her to the bathroom and used the rest of the wipes from the diaper bag to wiper her off from bum to toe, clean her dress and shoes, and put on the random spare clothes I had (thankfully) in the diaper bag. While she was naked in the men's bathroom (don't worry, we have a very small branch and no one else was around), and Josh was trying to clean up, She peed on the floor. He had to use more paper towels to clean her and the floor up. What a mess! He is trying hard to push this all out of his head so that should anything like this ever happen again, he might still be willing to help.
Stella was so tired on the way home from church that she fell asleep without the precious (which for all of you who don't know, is her pacifier. She almost never settles down without it.). Somehow it had gotten lost during nursery and we didn't want to search for it.
After we got home, I was awakened from our much needed nap to Stella commenting on how yummy her sucker was as she climbed on the bed around us. I took her back into the kitchen to avoid further stickiness, only to find another, smaller, but sticky mess. She had woken up earlier than us from her nap and instead of finding the yummy pepperoni quesadilla Josh had left on the table for her. She dug all of the candy out from the parade we went to a couple of nights ago. She had opened and attempted to eat some now and laters which were smashed onto the floor and her clothes. Not liking those, she had opened two suckers, and was eating one when she came to find us. Luckily this wasn't too terrible a mess since the sticky sugariness wiped off the floor and rinses easily off of clothes and children.
Needless to say, I threw her into the tub and let her play in there for a while.

Back to the accident woes. So, about two months or more ago Stella had potty training down. She had mostly mastered it and would tell me whenever she needed to go. I didn't even have to switch to a pull-up from her real panties when we would go places because I knew she would tell me when she needed to go. I was very proud and loved not changing nasty poopy diapers anymore. She did have the very occasional #1 accident, but usually only she was very distracted playing.
Then the baby came..... Everyone kept telling me that she would regress once we had the baby, but I was sure that she had it down well enough that we would be mostly OK.
Boy was I wrong. She has gotten slowly worse since James was born to the point that by about two weeks ago she no longer really goes potty anymore without me just putting her there. Very frustrating to say the least. So now I am trying to re-potty train her and debating whether to put her back into diapers for a little while. If anyone else has experienced this, any suggestions would be most welcome.
Oh, the life with an almost two year old. Here's hoping you had less messy day!

On a lighter note, I am trying to get more of the many pictures posted that I have, but I am so slow lately. Oh, how life changes with two kids!

6 comments:

Porters said...

oh I hear you! Not on the two kids, but on the terrible twos. I should say terrific twos so maybe Laneah will take the hint and act terrific but for now she has mastered "no" "uh-uh" "nope" and a fantastic set of lungs!

D/E G said...

I'm sure you're probably trying some of these things, but these are a few thoughts I have. First, if at all possible, when James is napping, try to spend time just with her. It's so hard to not spend it doing the millions of other things that need to be done, but what she likely wants is one on one time--stories, games, helping mommy, fun time focused totally on her. She's trying to assert her independence, but she really is still dependent on you and Josh especially for love and affirmation. Things will get better as she gets more used to him and as he gets more mobile and isn't in yours arms 24/7. Best of luck and thanks Josh for stepping up to the mess--no fun for anyone. We love your cute family!

Rob and Marseille said...

my mom said what helped her the most was playing puzzles with me while she was nursing my sister. Also, I wouldn't go back to diapers, if you have to, just do pull-ups until you feel up to re-potty training her (what am I talking about, I didn't even use pull-ups, nor do I have a baby).

Emilie said...

Looks like I have something to look forward to here pretty soon. I'll be coming to you for advice I'm sure. Hopefully you can laugh at this in a few months, okay, maybe a year...or 2.

Lant Family said...

Good Luck, I think you have convinced me to not have any more children. Thank You!

Lynn said...

Oh, shoot, don't let messy diapers and regression scare you off kids. There will come a time when you miss the mess and the sticky arms around your neck and the love and need for you!